5 Tips for Making Permanent Lifestyle Changes
Sometimes life will kick you in the gut and knock the wind completely out of you. With coming out of a divorce and trying to start life all over again with two young boys that I only got to see for at most – half the time I used to, it felt just like that to me. The reality of the blow really struck me hard after the family home was sold, and I had just moved into my new home.
I am now completely on the other side of that experience and am living a very happy and balanced life. To get to this place, I had to learn and put into practice some concepts that helped me to arrive in this space. It didn’t happen overnight. It took time (a year or two), consistency (practiced every day), patience (even when under fire), diligence (even when I was too tired), faith (even when things didn’t go the way I wanted to along the way), & vision (to keep my perspective for what was best for me in my future).
These concepts or lessons that I’ve learned have changed my life forever. I think these tips I’m sharing are “required gear” for taking on any big, long lasting, lifestyle changes – including trying to get fit, get healthy, lose weight, and keep it off for good!
Here are the tips I want to share with you:
1) GOALS! – Dare to dream, and dream big! Have a vision of what you want your end game to look like. Write it down! When you write something down its almost like giving birth to an idea you have. It becomes more real. Keep in mind, that you may not know exactly HOW to achieve them, but that is ok. These are dreams so it is likely you will not know every step that is needed to reach them. Please don’t let the lack of “know how” squash your dreams or prevent you from trying to reach a goal.
2) BE! – Surround yourself with people who you want to be like. You become like the people you spend the most time with. If you don’t like who you are – look at where you are spending your time and who you are spending it with. Does the energy fill you up, or drain you? Often, the closest people to you will be your biggest critics and the most discouraging. I had people tell me “You will never…”, “You are crazy for…”, and even just suddenly stop talking to me. This is why having proper support & surrounding yourself with people who have similar goals is so critical to your success. (Don’t believe or take credence in those who tell you that you can’t do or achieve something – this is a big red flag!).
3) ACTION! – Take action towards your purpose. Every single day, do what you need to do to take yourself closer to your goal. Even if there are no results to show for it in that day, week, or month – still do what needs to be done. Consistency is the secret sauce that makes ALL of the difference! Little by little is how most folks reach their goals. There are no excuses & giving up is not an option. Ever!
4) YOUR WHY! – Tap into why you must make a change and why you must reach your goal. Your Why needs to be strong. It needs to be so powerful that the thought of not doing it is so painful that it moves you to tears. While working to get to your goal, there will be times where you feel like giving up. You will need a powerful “WHY!” to remind yourself during those difficult times that giving up is not an option and you MUST pick yourself up & move forward.
5) HAVE FAITH! – Having faith is being sure of what we hope for & certain of what we do not see. The journey to your goal won’t be nicely mapped out for you. Let’s just for one second suppose it WAS nicely mapped out… I guarantee that life would find a way of getting in the middle of it all and it would not go as expected anyway! Therefore, you will need to have faith to take the journey one step at a time.
There will be times where it is very easy, and times where it is very difficult – especially if your goal involves making a big change. How you see things today will change as you begin taking on a new lifestyle and learning new & improved ways to live your life.
Keep your heart, mind and soul open to where God is leading you. Be open to new possibilities, and NEVER, no matter what – let go of your faith!
Making good habits & behaviors to support a healthy lifestyle is critical to long term success!
Need help in that area? I invite you to CONTACT ME.