10 Out of the Box Tips for Healthy Aging
If you think it’s too late to “reinvent” yourself, you better think again!
You are never too old to find a new hobby, passion, a new sport, or even a new career! So I want to provide some inspiration & practical things that adults 40 and over can do to improve their physical well being, as well as their mental, emotional & spiritual well beings too!
Because this is the time of year when people are returning back to routines after being on summer vacation, September is a great month to take stock of where you’ve been, and what you really would like to do if money & time was no object!
Then, go & try it! It’s a fantastic time to get started transforming yourself & the changing habits & behaviors you need to change in order to support a healthier lifestyle.
To get you started, here are 10 ideas for Re-inventing yourself during September:
1. DON’T ACT YOUR AGE! Are you acting your age? (Maybe even older?) If you are, stop it! Don’t act what you think your current age should act like. Think back – what has been your best age so far? 30, 40, perhaps now?? Picture yourself at that age and just be it! There are some people who will call this living in denial, but I say it’s positive thinking & by far it goes a long, long way in feeling good about yourself. By the way – don’t begin by looking in the mirror, just FEEL it from the inside and it will begin to show on the outside the more you put this into practice.
2. OWN YOUR THOUGHTS! Every day, speak positively in your conversations, and even in you’re the thoughts you have in your head. When you find yourself complaining, shift out of it. Find something in that person, or situation to be thankful for. By the way – stop listening to the news everyday. Turn off the TV & radio, and plug into the inner news that needs to be heard!
3. DROP THE NEGATIVE PEOPLE in your life! Drop them, or at the very least, limit your exposure to them as much as possible. These people will not only depress you, they are energy drainers & will stop or slow down your forward momentum. Surround yourself with happy, energetic, positive people of varying ages and you will find yourself to be happier as well. By the way – negative people often have a tendency for needing to feel they are right. Don’t argue with them. Let them believe what they want to believe. Don’t allow them to steal your joy or your energy.
4. STAND TALL & walk like a confident, vibrant, healthy person! It might sound silly, but how you show up in the world is what you are going to attract into your life. So stand up straight! Just doing that will allow you to knock off several years in your appearance! Look at yourself in the mirror. Are you holding your stomach in, have your shoulders back, chin up? Check out how much better your neck looks! Fix your stance and practice it every day, all day until it is natural. You will look great and feel better. By the way, the waistline will begin to look trimmer too when you get into the habit of standing taller & more confident!
5. SMILE! It’s a fact that people who smile more often are happier! Also, your teeth are just as important to your good health as the rest of your body. Not only is it the first thing people will notice, but good oral health is a gateway to your overall well-being. By the way – get to the dentist, and consider teeth whitening. Nothing says old more than having yellowing teeth!
6. GET SOCIAL! Feeling lonely? It’s time to stop complaining about having no friends. Get up & do something about it right now! Pick up the phone and volunteer your time, take a class, or invite someone to lunch or coffee. By the way – considering volunteering at your local public school to stay in touch with younger people and to keep current on trends, take free computer classes, or try new things!
7. START WALKING! Walking is a great way to get going into regular exercise. To increase intensity, increase your distance, or your pace. Also consider walking with hand or ankle weights. Also, don’t walk for only your health, but do it to see the neighbors and people in the neighborhood. Do you have a dog? Being a dog owner myself, you would be amazed at how dogs are conversation starters! By the way – if you don’t have time for a dog, go to a local animal shelter & volunteer for a few hours each week. You’ll be amazed at what the unconditional love of a puppy or a dog in need will bring you!
8. CHECK IN ON YOUR HEALTH! How healthy are you? Make September the time to get your annual physicals and other health screenings. Make the appointments & get them done! By the way – if you have any ailments, get them looked into now – waiting often only will make the condition harder to treat.
9. SELF CARE – Find something you enjoy doing and DO IT! Do you have an inner artist waiting to be unleashed? Take some music lessons. Take some dance lessons. Go take a pottery class, a painting class, or a wood working class. By the way, check out the local communities in your areas to see if there are adult classes to learn the new hobby you want to learn! They are often very inexpensive.
10. PRAY/MEDITATE! The habits & behaviors that we’re seeking to change in support of a healthier lifestyle stand up better over the long run when we believe in something greater than ourselves. Prayer & meditation has been shown to increase calmness, improve psychological relaxation, cope with illness, and enhance health and well-being.